My first business coach said, You are going to learn to love marketing. I just chuckled. She had no idea what I thought about marketing or networking events. My marketing blocks were firmly embedded.
For 12 years Steve, my husband, attended all the networking events to promote our agency. Steve is charismatic and enjoys schmoozing in large rooms.
Personally, I gravitate toward small gatherings. Remaining in the office, working directly with my clients, suits me perfectly.
Catalyst for change
The decision to create my own business, Business Success Solution, was my catalyst for change. My aversion to marketing needed to be resolved. Those old, familiar marketing blocks now interfered.
There was nothing I could change about marketing. As an introvert, marketing drained me. So, I decided to challenge my limits.
Discover the disconnect
Growing my business meant stepping away from the comforts of my office. Unfortunately my education never taught marketing or networking skills. Creating a marketing plan which fit my personality was the only way this would work.
Are your marketing blocks holding you back? Start to clarify your vision, your strategy and your plan.
- Seek. What is it that you want so much, you are willing to challenge your limits?
- Story. Create your success story. Then regularly envision achieving your defining moment of success. Your brain responds best to visualization when it’s vivid, emotionally charged and viewed in the present tense. Doing this informs your brain about something specific which matters to you.
- Solution. Instead of focusing on what you don’t want to do, set your sights on what you desire. Move toward a solution instead of away from a problem. Review how you tell your story. Focus on achieving something which is positive and personally meaningful for you.
- Strategize. Outline your plan, but be flexible. Don’t worry about all the necessary steps. Over-emphasizing the how leads to perfectionism and procrastination. Progress is difficult when you’re overwhelmed by fear and anxiety.
- Step out of the box. Create a fun and appealing success strategy. If your marketing strategy feels difficult, you are unlikely to stick with those activities for the long run.
- Specific. List which steps will get you results. These will be your success milestones. Then, add them onto your calendar. Your brain craves specifics. Instead of saying I will start marketing twice per week in 30 days change that to I will join BNI and attend my local association networking event in 30 days.
- Support. By the way, nobody expects you to do everything yourself. Team up with someone else. This motivates you to keep you going, especially when you want to give up. Accountability is a wonderful motivator.
- Simplify. Take action. But, keep it simple. Only focus on two specific marketing activities. This reduces overwhelm.
- Success. Celebrate each small success along the way. Overall, it’s a long term strategy. Give yourself credit for reaching milestones. As a result, your confidence grows and inspires you to continue with your plan.
Desire for success
My desire to succeed is stronger than my fear. And as my business grows, so do I. Periodically old beliefs surface which hinder my growth. When that occurs, I reframe. What I mean is that I figure out how to turn a negative into a positive.
The tools to rethink my marketing blocks are readily available. This is a growth opportunity. Gradually, I become comfortable with things that had previously been uncomfortable.
Challenge your comfort zone
If it is uncomfortable, than I ought to be doing it is my motto. This insight is my ticket to freedom. Passion and purpose drives me to stretch beyond my comfort zone. As a result I refuse to remain stuck any longer than absolutely necessary. This is a primary reason why I continue to invest in working with a business coach. Success is a process, not a destination.
Are you ready to move forward with your accounting firm, but the thought of creating a plan, developing a strategy and implementation is overwhelming? Maybe you find that the yes, buts and excuses interfere.
It’s possible to liberate yourself from your marketing blocks and obstacles. Follow these steps to attract high value clients who happily pay your fees. Right NOW claim your FREE RESOURCE to double your income working half the time.